Meaning- 1) Gives reference to those people who are distrustful of human nature and motives or those who believes that people are generally selfish and dishonest.
2) Selfish and dishonest in a way that shows no concern about treating other people fairly.
Mnemonic trick- The word cynical contains word ‘cynic’. ‘cynic’ sounds similar to Hindi word ‘SAINIK’. ‘SAINIK’ or army personnel are always cynical about nature and motives of personnel of opposition army. Therefore, cynical gives reference to those people who are distrustful of human nature and motives or those who believes that people are generally selfish and dishonest.
Synonym- PESSIMISTIC, MISANTHROPIC
• Cynical people say there is no such thing as true love.
• He started laughing and mocked the old man with cynical derision.
• For all his talk about the power of positivity, I confess I am cynical about whether things will get better in our lifetime.
• His limited opportunities add to his bitter, cynical attitude towards life.
For complete coaching on GRE. Just visit:
Download android application on GRE vocabulary just by clicking on the click:
Like us on Facebook:
Follow us on Linkedin: